Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Checklist for usability testing in 2018

I have been pondering a lot lately about my method. Experience is a factor that is powerful, but it's rare that people really sit down and try to map out that which we know.
I Have decided to reveal this checklist even though it is portion of one of my paid choices. A few disclaimers: First, I really don't claim this list is special or extensive. Jakob Nielsen has an excellent 113-level checklist for instance, Homepage Usability, in his book. This really is my way of arranging what I believe is crucial while trying to keep it manageable. Second, my usage of conditions may vary from yours. I use "usability" in a very broad sense, and my use of "accessibility" isn't quite industry standard. Do not like it? Write your own checklist ;) Lastly, an advance warning this post is quite lengthy.
Basic Overview
The listing is split into 4 approximately equal sections, (I) Accessibility, (II) Identification, (I-II) Navigation, and (IV) Content. I will describe and rationalize all line items and the sections below, but you can download the checklist as a simple, 1-page PDF.
I try to keep it easy with 3 fundamental scores: (1) Green Check Always = Good/Pass, (2) Red Check = Wants work, but no disaster, (3) Red X = Negative/Fail. Not allpoints are fundamentally applicable to all or any sites.

Styles & Colors Are Consistent

Make sure people know they truly are still on your site by being consistent - confuse them and they 'll be lost by you'll. Headings layout, and styles should be steady website-extensive, and shades should typically have the sam-e meaning. Don't use red headers on onepage, red links on another, and text somewhere else.

Flash & Add-ons Are Used Sparingly

No matter how fantastic your site looks, people won't wait FIVE FULL MINUTES minutes for a plugin to load. Use new technology sparingly and only when your targets are really enhanced by it. Sticking to standard HTML/CSS is also a plus for lookup engines.

Site Has Custom Perhaps Not-found/404 Page

If your page in your site does not exist, a white page with "4 4 Maybe Not Found" is a a great way to way to lose a client. Create a custom 404 page, preferably one that guides your guests to content.

Clear Way To to Business Information

The good outdated "About U-S" page may possibly seem boring, but self-confidence is important on the internet, and individuals need an easy way to discover mo Re about you.

URLs Are Significant & Consumer-friendly

This is really a point of some debate, but significant keyword-centered URLs are broadly speaking excellent for both visitors and lookup engines. You don't have to reengineer an entire website just to get URLs, but do what you can to make them descriptive and helpful.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. buy backlinks

    ReplyDelete